µdogs.net Forum Index µdogs.net
Dogs rule and Cats drool.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mah computar is broken
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grignard
User

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Mah computar is broken Reply with quote

Like seriously. Any info would be really helpful. It's a PC.

Cutting to the chase, I can't even get it to boot anymore. I get the initial black Windows screen and rolling load bar and it just sits there. When I hit the reset button, it eventually goes to another screen where MS apologizes for the inconvenience, blah blah, and I have the options of loading in Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/networking, Load with last known working settings, or to start normally.

Before the total decline I could at least get it to load in safe mode but now that isn't even working. When I select it, it puts a bunch of lines on my screen (bunch of driver info) and then hangs again indefinitely.

So I'm guessing it's a HD problem. I'm using my wife's computer which is a similar setup but I'm not 100% confident in my tech skillz to start swapping out components to try and pinpoint the problem.

Any suggestions? Sad
WarriorMouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you get to that screen with options, try "Loading last working config" or somesthing like that. Let me know how it goes ;P
Grignard
User

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WarriorMouse wrote:
when you get to that screen with options, try "Loading last working config" or somesthing like that. Let me know how it goes ;P

I had tried that once in my troubleshooting and it got me nowhere. I tried starting it again just now and I can't even get that far. I can access my BIOS options screen and that's about it and I don't even know what good that can do me. This sucks hardcore.
Dog Groomer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the BIOS see the drive? Or at the very least acknowledge its existence?

To rule out other hardware components: Can you boot from a disk?

-DA
WarriorMouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BIOS have to see the drive if he gets to that slection screen.

You may just need to do a small repair on the OS. Have your XP disk and CD-Key handy, and device driver disc. Go into bios set your cdrom as your your first boot device, load in your XP CD and start the machine.

Spacebar when it asks, it gives you options, pretty sure you hit escape for this set, next it should give you the I agree screen, hit F8 to agree, and on this screen there should be the option to repair, then it should have you choose the partition that has the OS on it.

After you select that partition it will run through the XP setup, you can skip the Username section to keep from adding new users to the existing set.

Finish the setup restart, then start reinstalling device drivers. After device drivers do all the Windows updates that are security updates etc. (Avoid any of thier video driver updates)

That should be it, this repair option doesnt overwrite your personal files, just the core files of the OS.

In case i didnt remember right, when doing the repair, from boot, Dont choose the first repair option, it's a DOS based manual repair. When you get along to the next repair option that you see, thats the one to go for.

Hope that helps
Grignard
User

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I think what I'm going to do at this point is screw with it as little as possible and see if I can slave it and get the data off onto my external HD. I think it's safe to say I'm going to miss Mazz night.....

Cheers
WarriorMouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh i just had a problem with mine, IRQ error for the win!

did you get a stop message at all?

you can install windows from your disk to a sub directory. then see if that fresh sub install works. If not, you are looking at a hardware issue.

hope that helps
Grignard
User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so this whole process is slow going. I haven't been able to get a hold of the guy that built my computer so I'm stuck on a number of fronts.

1) So I'm looking for a new HDD on newegg. I see that most of them have a SATA connection. My old one used an ATA100 connection. My mobo has SATA slots so that's not a problem, however my power supply doesn't. Do you foresee any issues if I replace my power supply so that it has a SATA cable?

2) I can't remove my HDD because it runs into my CPU's heatsink/fan. I've tried searching the internets for help on this an didn't get anything definitive on how to properly remove it. There's a big lever on the side I can move but I'm not sure what else to do with it. Are there other tabs I have to unclip?
Dog Groomer

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grignard wrote:
Ok so this whole process is slow going. I haven't been able to get a hold of the guy that built my computer so I'm stuck on a number of fronts.

1) So I'm looking for a new HDD on newegg. I see that most of them have a SATA connection. My old one used an ATA100 connection. My mobo has SATA slots so that's not a problem, however my power supply doesn't. Do you foresee any issues if I replace my power supply so that it has a SATA cable?

2) I can't remove my HDD because it runs into my CPU's heatsink/fan. I've tried searching the internets for help on this an didn't get anything definitive on how to properly remove it. There's a big lever on the side I can move but I'm not sure what else to do with it. Are there other tabs I have to unclip?

You can get these fancy 4-pin Molex to sata power things...in fact, a lot of drives come with them, but not all. They shouldn't be hard to find.

As for removing the fan...I haven't a clue...

Wazza?

-DA
gleep
User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen similar problems with video cards or drivers getting screwy, but I'm no tech.
Grignard
User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death's Avatar wrote:

You can get these fancy 4-pin Molex to sata power things...in fact, a lot of drives come with them, but not all. They shouldn't be hard to find.

As for removing the fan...I haven't a clue...

Wazza?

-DA

Excellent. Since I'll probably be getting one of these OEM drives from newegg, it probably won't have any extras like that but they do sell the adapters for $3.

As far as the heatsink goes, I have an AMD chip and it looks like there should be two tabs on the sides that I shoulld be able to unclip but it's going to be difficult with the tight space I have to work with. And taking out the mobo to work on it is more opportunities to break shit.. Guess I'll find out just how technically incompetant I am.
WarriorMouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are you taking out the MB to replace the HD? Do you have a pic of the inside of the machine? I take apart machines daily and your setup doesnt sound to the norm. Specially for a prebuilt machine.

Sometimes the housing that has the HDD in it can be removed with a couple screws and once thats out you can remove the HDD
Dog Groomer

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG PIX PLZ. Not messing with your mobo is pretty much preferable to anything...

-DA
Grignard
User

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remove the screws to the HD I hve to slide it straight out because there are tabs above it that keep it from moving upwards. So in the process of it sliding, it comes in contact to my heatsink, so it has nowhere to go. I'll see if I can get some pix today.
Grignard
User

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK nevermind I got it. Turns out it was only coming in contact with the fan on top of my heatsink and was able to just remove it from the HS. So I got that bitch in an anti-static bag...hopefully it's not completely dead and can get my data (read: pr0n) off of it. I've ordered a new HD and adapter which should get here in 3 days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    µdogs.net Forum Index -> Myth Related All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: